Re: First kallitype

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 01/06/01-02:37:22 AM Z

Randall Webb write:

>I hope I didn't refer to it as DOP kallitype. As Judy says - is there any
>other sort.

Actually I am confused by the terminology. It would appear to me that some
variants (Vandyke Brown, Argyrotype) of the kallitype process are printing
out processes. If I am incorrect in this assumption, why?

>I don't do much kalli on the principle of why do it the hard way when there
>is an easy one. The ones I did for the book were as far as I can remember
>were done without clearing agent according to Stevens. If I had used one it
>would have been potassium oxalate which is filthy stuff.

Unfortunately your instructions for the kallitype seem almost guaranteed to
leave some unexposed ferrous salts in the print, thus assuring the
likelhood that it will self-destruct. However, some of these ferrous salts
would clear in the long development time you recommend, which appears to be
good procedure.

Sandy King