Re: First kallitype

From: Rod Fleming (rod@silversalt.co.uk)
Date: 01/06/01-04:58:49 AM Z

Hi Sandy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sandy King" <sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: First kallitype

> >I hope I didn't refer to it as DOP kallitype. As Judy says - is there any
> >other sort.

Yup, and both Randy and Judy know this. They are just playing semantics.
A small point perhaps, but all of this was set off by a throwaway remark I
made in a post about salted paper printing, in which I just agreed with what
you'd said.
Anyway, see below

> Actually I am confused by the terminology. It would appear to me that some
> variants (Vandyke Brown, Argyrotype) of the kallitype process are printing
> out processes. If I am incorrect in this assumption, why?

Sandy, you are indeed correct in this assumption, and I thank you for
mentioning it. I used the term DOP kallitype in order to specifically
exclude any such confusion, and I am not the first to do so.
Since at the time I used the term "DOP
kallitype" we were discussing the author of a book which says
the following, referring to the kallitype and the VDB

"the word "kallitype" has become the ...term for both processes........we
shall ........treat the Van Dyke process as the dominant sibling" (Spirits
of Salts, p63)

some clarification seemed appropriate.

> >I don't do much kalli on the principle of why do it the hard way when
there
> >is an easy one. The ones I did for the book were as far as I can remember
> >were done without clearing agent according to Stevens. If I had used one
it
> >would have been potassium oxalate which is filthy stuff.
>
> Unfortunately your instructions for the kallitype seem almost guaranteed
> leave some unexposed ferrous salts in the print, thus assuring the
> likelhood that it will self-destruct. However, some of these ferrous
salts
> would clear in the long development time you recommend, which appears to
be
> good procedure.

Quite.Unfortunately, "Spirits of Salts" has a a lot of similar inaccuracies
in it. It is a primer which covers a
lot of ground in non-technical language, always a good thing. Anyone who
wants a deeper understanding will have to do further reading, but within its
context, "Spriits of Salts" is valuable. However its approach is
unquestionably superficial. My lighthearted (well, it was meant to be
lighthearted, I'd forgotten that humour is thin on the ground in some parts)
teasing of Randy about this- and he did question Farber's authority,
whatever he says now- triggered another list member's response which I shall
not further dignify, and I note, a smear about my nationality and
habits from Randy. I was absolutely not surprised by the tone of the first
response, but I am saddened by Randy's.

Cheers

Rod