Re: Pinhole Question?

From: J. Wayde Allen (wallen@lug.boulder.co.us)
Date: 01/06/01-09:18:51 PM Z

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 SAMET2@aol.com wrote:

> I know wants to make pinhole cameras, a friend of mine was telling me he
> wanted to make one but wanted to make it square and still get a "wide angle "
> look to it. He is somewhat knowledgeable about these things and suggested
> that the size of the pin hole is directly related to angle of view. Is that
> true and if so how does that work?(is larger more wide ect.)

No, the pinhole size is related to the maximum resolution available. To
understand this check out the following article written by a colleague of
mine <http://www.pinhole.com/resources/articles/Young/index.html>.

The angle of view is related to the film plane size and the distance from
the film plane to the pinhole. To see how this works, get a piece of
paper and draw a line representing the diagonal of your negative (or the
diameter of your image circle). This line represents your film
plane. Then make a dot representing your pinhole at some distance in from
of this line. You can now see what the "theoretical" angle of view for
this film plane/pinhole combination will be by drawing two lines from the
ends of your film plane line through the pin hole (dot). Moving the
pinhole closer to the film plane gives you a wider field of view, whereas
moving it further from the plane narrows it.

- Wayde
  (wallen@lug.boulder.co.us)