Re: Mixing Ammonium & Potassium based chemistry

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/08/01-12:06:31 PM Z

At 2001/01/08 09:10 AM +0100, Stefan wrote:
>I wonna try now again the Gelabrom process (very
>closed to Carbro) but have only ammonium dichromate
>as I use it for carbon transfer.
>
>Can I use the ammonium dichromate for a potassium
>based formula and how should I alter the ammount
>(as ammonium dichromate should react more heavily
>as the potassium version does)?

The only problem with substituting ammonium for potassium compounds occurs
when the solution is alkaline (pH above 6). When the solution is acidic, as
your formula is, there should be no adverse reaction. With alkaline
solutions, the ammonium radical tends to break down (you can tell by the
odor of ammonia gas) with sometimes unpredictable results. As to quantity,
with the very small amount of 3 grams, I would not even try to convert but
would just use the same amount.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org