Re: b/w negatives

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 01/18/01-07:52:53 AM Z

Bill Collins wrote:

> >from William Paterson message:
> >"You can produce an enlarged negative from a transparency. The problem
> >that you run into is that most transparencies have a density range that is
> >much higher than a B&W negative used for normal printing."
>
> I assume this could make the density range suitable for alt printing?

Two things to consider.

A) What about a B&W negative processed for alt-printing as opposed to
"normal printing"? Indeed the B&W film can be developed to more than a
density of 4.0 and I have much confidence that a silver film can have a
much higher density than a dye film.

B) What about the log exposure part of the curve? Density alone isn't
going to do it. How does the film respond over a range of exposure?
And what about the contrast index curve?

In general, the key to a good negative is what it has in the middle of
the curve and not just at the ends. In fact this is part of the reason
for using masks when building negatives. A film can be selected and
processed for its best contribution of quality to the print while if
extra density is needed a mask can be added.

The short cut (and shortsightedness) of only considering density range
when making negatives probably accounts for most of the negatives that
are built not being better or even as good as the originals.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/