Re: Cross processing C-41

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@home.com)
Date: 01/19/01-05:02:16 PM Z

> The chemistry- NeoColor C-41
> The film- 3M E-6 Color Slide 400 and T-640
>
> The process- 3 minutes in developer at 100 deg F
> 1 minute rinse in clear 100 deg water
> 6 minutes blix
> 3 minutes wash in running water
> The results is what appears to be a normal negative with higher contrast.
> They print nicely with sharp contrast and grain, it is really colorfull
> and punchy. I would like to have a mostly clear base for screen
> projection of these false color images.

Boy Tony . . you got me thinking. I've not used Scotch film since the 1960's
when I believe it was made by 3M.
Have also not used the NeoColor chemicals. Yet, in between there I've tried
a whole series of films and developed in C41 and the Beseler and Neofin and
other sets including the RA4 stuff itself. In no instance have I obtained
what you describe as the orange backing similar to standard color negative
films.
Sometimes by not quite washing well enough (my assumption) a rather light
orangish stain has remained on the film base. There has also been what seems
to be a 'cooked' look to the base and this is also somewhat orange in color
. . but, in all occurrences the stain was fairly light.
Perhaps the combo you are working with allows incipient dyes to form in the
unexposed areas. This fact might well be the case w/the Scotch film/NeoColor
formulae wherein there is something left over from the developer.
I'd suggest to use two separate washes with a stop bath in between. Make the
stop bath 1/2 as strong as for b/w work, i.e.: 25 ozs glacial acetic acid
per gallon.
By working with the wash and/or stop of combination thereof, this problem
hopefully will diminish. In general such oddities are due to lack of
cleaning of chemistry from the emulsion before immersing in another fluid.