Re: UV lamp

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/21/01-03:46:03 PM Z

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:
> The store displayed two models. One is good for 8x10 print, another can make
> 11x14. The bigger one costs $269,000 Lire, which is not bad at all (bulbs
> included). It also has a build-in timer. It looks very nice!

Dave, how much is 269,000 lire in $$$? (Amazing that folks in sunny
Italy buy tanning lamps. I mean are we decadent, or what ?!)

> I am still debating on whether I should buy one. I know they use 210-220V
> here, but I can get a transformer for that. What I am not sure is whether the
> bulb size, length, etc. are in metric, so it's probably hard for me to get
> replacement bulbs back in the US. Does anyone have information on this?

Think I recall that certain tanning bulbs were either banned or restricted
in US a while back, tho don't know if wavelength lower or riskier or
stronger than BL. Maybe because people lie facing it, danger considered
greater?

How's your Italian, Dave? Can you find out wavelength? Or maybe Chris
knows ?

To decide, maybe figure cost of transformer & add to cost of carrying
home? If bulb life is comparable to other fluorescents, you probably don't
need replacements -- unless broken in transport (stranger things have
happened).

Judy