Rolo Pyro Stain

From: Rocky (rocky@pdq.net)
Date: 01/24/01-03:44:09 PM Z

I have followed the directions from the New Platinum Print for processing Arista (HP5?) and TXT in Rolo Pyro. The difference is I use Unicolor Drums and a Bessler rotary base. All other variables, temperature etc., were held the same or very close to the instructions.

I shot identical negatives with TXT then processed one in my normal manner with XTOL 1:1 then one with Rolo Pyro. I also did this with the Arista.

The ones processed in XTOL 1:1, both TXT and the Arista print in an Edwards 11x14 black light printer at 5 or 6 minutes. I use B&S chemistry (16-8-16 Palladium-8 Platinum) for an 8x10 with large black border, Cranes Cover Paper 90#, Ammonium Citrate developer. All at about 70deg. F.

5 or 6 minutes printing time is pretty standard for my set up.

When I print the Rolo Pyro negatives the printing times are 30 to 45 minutes and appear as if they could go even longer. Even with this it appears as though the highlight separation in the sparse clouds is better in the XTOL negatives.

Is there a way to lower or completely remove the stain. I have tried a stop bath, a refix, a wash, a Hyco Hypo removal wash.

I was excited about using this developer but, do not find these extended times acceptable.

Any help is appreciated. On list or off list your choice.

Thanks,
rocky@pdq.net in Houston,TX