Re: Pilgrim (OT)

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 01/24/01-09:35:51 PM Z

CK wrote:

(snip)
At first I
> thought "Oh no, not another book by a rich white guy showing us how third
> world those folks in Asia are". Upon further inspection however I
> discovered that the photos are actually quite nice. Gere presents the
> culture with respect and dignity.

CK:

You're implying that a "rich white guy" would be expected to treat this
subject in a demeaning and disrespectful manner. Why? Exactly how many
other books on this subject (authored by rich white guys) offend your
sensibilities? Can you name these books?

I've never seen the book in question, but it comes as no surprise to ME that
Gere (a "rich white guy") would treat the subject with "respect and
dignity". But then, I don't prejudge people on the basis of their skin
color or financial standing. Why do you?

Sorry if going off-topic offends anybody, but I feel that "politically
correct racism" (as explemplified by CK's attitude) is inexcusable, and
should be questioned.

Best regards from a "white guy" in Wyoming,
Dave Rose