Re: desktop negatives

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/27/01-11:43:35 PM Z

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

> Each ink may have its own characteristic. For the HP-970 inks I have
> looked at, the black ink blocks UV the best, next the yellow, then the
> magenta, and the cyan not really much at all. Other inks may behave
> differently. I believe the Cone quad inks are carbon piment and block
> well (Dan may have some info on this).

Dan speaks highly of the piezo system, but not as I understand it for
negatives, rather for *prints*. I saw his negatives on some kind of
plastic (I forget the name, maybe backlight film), very thin coat of
nearly pure orange. Yes orange. It looked suprisingly faint, barely
visible in fact, but made EXCELLENT full scale pt/pd prints.

> I had been using more than one ink to try to achive more toneal
> variations, but without the success required for Pt/Pd. The key with
> the quad inks seems to be the light value inks, as the dots can be
> printed close a posible without too much blocking density.
>
> Whether the orange color ink combination was to simulate pyro staining
> or offer more flexibility of tone generation, after investigating this
> greatly, I have no confidence that this scheme can produce results
> suitable for Pt/Pd negatives.

The orange color blocks the light, as with goldenrod paper, or amberlith
masking film or the yellow plastic rolls they wrap bulbs in for
safelights.

Would I lie? It works. In fact Dan's entire book relies on this principle.
Would *he* lie?

 The Cone system seems to have remedied
> this situation, but I have not had the opportunity to investigate this
> as yet. I am hoping Dan will save me some of the effort.

He has.

Judy