Dimensional stability of paper negatives?

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 01/28/01-11:23:15 AM Z

Greetings Alt-Photographers,

Judy Seigel wrote (on the challenge of registering paper negatives):

(snip)
*****************
I'm hoping that taping all FOUR SIDES of paper neg to the relatively
stable plastic will make big difference.

Will try it, as soon as I get that great big paper negative -- not yet on
this cosmic plane (surprise !).
*****************

I have no experience with paper negatives, but I'm guessing that a big
problem with them would be dimensional instability due to changes in
relative humidity. I can envision this phenomenon being especially
troublesome with large negatives and multiple printing, e.g. making gum
dichromate prints. It's bad enough dealing with the print itself shrinking
and expanding as humidity fluctuates!

I'm interested in the possibility of making and using paper negatives, but
my concern about their stability dissuades me, since I'd be doing
combination cyanotype/gum and gum printing. I make every effort to hold
fine detail in my prints, so this is a big issue for me. Any comments?

Best regards,
Dave Rose AKA Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming