Desk toppaper negs -wax

From: Peter Fredrik (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Date: 01/29/01-12:18:10 PM Z

            Re: Desk top paper negatives - wax?
      Date:
            Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:02:16 +0000

       Garet Denise wrote:

> Drum roll, (pause) Cymbals! READ THE ARCHIVES!
>
> Seriously, this has been discussed several times before. There is a good
search
> engine tied to the archives of this list that can be found at
>
> http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=altphotoprocess
>
> In summary, I (and others) have found mineral oil to work well (you can get
it
> almost totally dry). Some were debating the merits of sunflower oil vs.
cannola
> oil. Judy prefers paraffin wax (intended for canning) but I found that it
> showed streaks in my prints.
>
> Take a look at the archives. You'll find a wealth of information
>
> Garet Denise
> Garet@Cornerstone-Inspection.com

In principle I agree with Garet ,but it does no harm to go over the same
ground
from time to time after all said and done probably most subjects are almost
completely covered in the archive but things do change, as we develop this
fascinating study area of ours.

 For instance I was the first one to suggest sunflower oil in this context
.However
since then we at The School Temperaprint have found by practical experience
that
sunflower oil is OK in the short run, it is a No- No in the long term ,it
dries out
goes yellow and rancid in about a year . I also agree that mineral oil [
which we
call liquid paraffin in the UK] doe s work in the short time but we have not

tested over a period of greater than six months so as in most things time will
tell!

 Judy's preference however has been proved over a greater period of time for

instance Fox Talbot used the method in his Calotype process which has stood
the
test of time, although I believe it has problems with laser prints causing
smearing of the heat sensitive ink/tonor.

Pete

Ps I have used raw linseed oil that dries nicely but does go yellow in a
relatively short time say a week or two.