Re: On metal

From: Walt Goettman (goettmw@mmwyeth.com)
Date: 01/29/01-02:41:27 PM Z

Sandy King wrote:

> Several years ago I bought some of these print boards with the intention of
> putting some carbon images on them. I figures they needed to be first sized
> so i coated a few of them with gelatin but that caused them to turn black.
> I cleared them with sulfuric acid back to a smoooth finish but now they
> have all turned black and varous shades of other colors. Nothing I have
> done so for cleans the boards.
>
> What would I do to clean the boards and stabilize the finish that would
> allow me to put images on them?
>
> Sandy King

 Tarnished plates can be cleaned with Brasso. If you then clean with
mineral spirits and degrease with whiting and amonia you can transfer
directly to the plate in cold 65f and develope in 110f (at least with
Aututype tissue).The cleaning should be done immediately before transfer
and dried quickly. This is how photogravure plates are prepared for
etching. I imagine the plate would still have to be sealed as the carbon
image will let moisture through.

Walt