Re: Slightly OT - Teaching

From: Randall Webb (randall.webb@lineone.net)
Date: 01/31/01-01:27:30 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: <valerie_matthews@notes.teradyne.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 3:05 PM
Subject: Slightly OT - Teaching

> Hello you all knowing listers,
>
> This is a bit off topic, but since there are so many educators on the
list,
> somebody might be able to help. Off-list
> replies a preferred. I can assemble all the responses if anyone is
> interested in them, let me know.
>
> During the summer, I teach an introductory photography class at a college
> with no darkrooms and no photo dept
> and little access to digital equipment like film scanners. Many of the
> students are engineer and graphic and
> industrial design majors It is two hours, twice a week for 12 weeks, a
> total of 48 hours teaching time.
>
> We do go to a communty darkroom (4 hrs each, color and black and white),
> look at slides which cover some of the
> history of photography, discuss camera use, watch a few videos on
> photographers, have about 5 'photographing'
> (either slides or contacts are made from C41) assignments and a short (4-6
> page) paper on a photographer. We see
> shows when there are any to see and a couple of my classmates come in to
> guest lecture.
>
> However, I rack my brain trying to fill the time!!! Does anyone have
ideas
> for 'fun' photo activities which are somewhat
> cheap, educational and would not require a darkroom? Thanks!
>
> Valerie>>>>>>>

Hi Valerie.

Here are a few suggestions which may be of help. For years I have run
workshops for non-photographers under the title "Photography - No camera ,
no darkroom."
Apart from some dishes and bits of glass and some form of UV light you will
need acces to a xerox photocopier.
To make a negative take any picture and xerox it on acetate instead of
paper, at the same time pressing the negative button on the machine.You
might not get a perfect 1.8 net density neg but then do we anyway.
As they are engineers let them do a blueprint. An engineers drawing on
tracing paper contacted onto cyano. or try all sorts of photograms using
cyano or gum over cyano or gum over gum or VDB. What about solvent transfers
on cloth or paper from a b&w or colour xerox copy. Or cliche verre. A design
scratched on a piece of fogged lith film with a sharp point or drawn on the
emulsion side of the film with a cotton wool tip with Farmers reducer. Try
printing vdb or cyano on cloth and then let them graduate to making their
own T- shirts.
If you can get hold of an old 5x4 camera load it with ortho film which can
be developed by inspection under a red light bulb in the corner of a
reasonably darkened room.
All details in "Spirits of Salts"!!
Randall Webb