Slightly OT - Teaching

valerie_matthews@notes.teradyne.com
Date: 01/29/01-05:05:05 PM Z

Hello you all knowing listers,

This is a bit off topic, but since there are so many educators on the list,
somebody might be able to help. Off-list
replies a preferred. I can assemble all the responses if anyone is
interested in them, let me know.

During the summer, I teach an introductory photography class at a college
with no darkrooms and no photo dept
and little access to digital equipment like film scanners. Many of the
students are engineer and graphic and
industrial design majors It is two hours, twice a week for 12 weeks, a
total of 48 hours teaching time.

We do go to a communty darkroom (4 hrs each, color and black and white),
look at slides which cover some of the
history of photography, discuss camera use, watch a few videos on
photographers, have about 5 'photographing'
(either slides or contacts are made from C41) assignments and a short (4-6
page) paper on a photographer. We see
shows when there are any to see and a couple of my classmates come in to
guest lecture.

However, I rack my brain trying to fill the time!!! Does anyone have ideas
for 'fun' photo activities which are somewhat
cheap, educational and would not require a darkroom? Thanks!

Valerie