2 CONGRATS, I.D. & APPROACH

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 07/01/01-08:10:23 PM Z

DEAR LIST,
    Firstly, congratulations to Judy for another great issue of WJPFP, made
even greater by her including the Barbados stamps from my air mail envelope
(carrying my subscription renewal check) on the back cover!
    Secondly in terms of my identity, well, Judy has met me, and Richard and
Melody have shipped me things charged on my credit card so, unless I am
extremely slippery, I exist as Robert (Bob) Kiss. Oh, yes, Steve Shapiro
and I met a few decades ago although we were both in other incarnations at
that time. And let's face it, who would choose a name like Bob Kiss if they
didn't have it forced upon them??? Johnny Cash's "BOY NAMED SUE" ain't got
nothin' on me in terms of growing a thick skin.
    Thirdly, in terms of approach, sometimes I go out experiencing things,
letting it wash over me until I am so moved by something that I must
photograph it, sometimes having a print medium in mind and sometimes not
deciding until I see a contact print. I often try a neg in a few different
media until it sings to me...POP, silver, PT/PD. And sometimes I set up
shots, try to actualize visual concepts which have evolved from many
sources.
Since I come from the world of advertising and fashion photography I try not
to be too
representational in these concept shots as I can too easily fall back into
my "illustration" habits. Fine art photography has been so wonderful for me
because it has been a lucrative alternative (purposeful use of word) to the
world of selling someone else's product or service. I regained my love of
the photographic image which I had lost in the late 80s.
    Soooooo, I guess I go with my feelings as to whether a particular work
is pre-conceived or found, whether the medium is chosen before or after
making the negative. This is exactly the freedom I have missed during the
two decades I was a commercial photographer.
    Last, but not least, Congrats to Richard Sullivan on his honors at RPS.
We photographic artists are a rather independent and isolated bunch and
recognition for our efforts is manna.
    I lied! THIS is the last paragraph. Yes, I am going to be idealistic
here but I can't help but wonder what would happen if two people, so
intelligent, so dedicated to Alt Photo in their own way, like Judy and
Richard, ever buried the hatchet and allied themselves for the common good.
I think that alliance would be formidable! Yes, I know, people in hell
would like Iced Tea but they aren't going to get it either. But what are we
artists good for if not to dream of a more beautiful world and show people
glimpses of it?
    Well, my dad used to say that the road to hell is paved with good
intentions...let's see what this posting brings.
                    CHEERS FROM BARBADOS!
                            BOB KISS