also weather report Re: 2 CONGRATS, I.D. & APPROACH

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/02/01-02:33:15 PM Z

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Bob Kiss wrote:

> Firstly, congratulations to Judy for another great issue of WJPFP, made
> even greater by her including the Barbados stamps from my air mail envelope
> (carrying my subscription renewal check) on the back cover!

And the man complains about his name -- but don't you just want to kiss
him? I have, BTW, a lovely set from Poland for next issue -- at least
unless something more seductive arrives (past issues included Indonesia,
Ireland & Scotland -- a form of subliminal boasting).

> ...... In terms of approach, sometimes I go out experiencing things,
> letting it wash over me until I am so moved by something that I must
> photograph it, sometimes having a print medium in mind and sometimes not

Bob, that happens to me, too... but it's never (or rarely) successful. I
think it's the light, which as noted is very changeable here. I see
something when I don't have the camera & maybe another time or two... then
I get the camera, and it's just not the same. I'm no longer able/ready to
carry camera on every trip to postoffice & supermarket... but, truth to
tell, I have more negs than I'm succeeding in printing, so I probably
should relax...

Which brings me to the weather report: Yesterday & day before were hot &
muggy. I laid down first coats on 3 large gums. Last night the temperature
dropped to 60 degrees F -- I had to put a shirt on indoors. The RH in
studio is 40%. I KNOW the second coats won't register !

> deciding until I see a contact print. I often try a neg in a few different
> media until it sings to me...POP, silver, PT/PD. And sometimes I set up
> shots, try to actualize visual concepts which have evolved from many
> sources.

> Since I come from the world of advertising and fashion photography I try not
> to be too
> representational in these concept shots as I can too easily fall back into
> my "illustration" habits. Fine art photography has been so wonderful for me
> because it has been a lucrative alternative (purposeful use of word) to the
> world of selling someone else's product or service. I regained my love of
> the photographic image which I had lost in the late 80s.

I also come out of "commercial art," having been free lance illustrator in
the long long ago, tho asap I unhooked my livelihood from my art... but I
think that background gives you strengths as well. And as we know some of
the GREAT photogs have been in advertising (from Steichen to Louis
Faurer... tho maybe Faurer did only editorial... Well, how about Weegee?).

> CHEERS FROM BARBADOS!
> BOB KISS

AND CHEERS ALSO FROM COOL BREEZY FRESH-AIR NEW YORK !!!

Judy