Re: Carbon Tissue on ceramics or glass

From: Harald Leban (hleban@telering.at)
Date: 07/02/01-12:58:56 PM Z

Bob,
please take a look to the formula I use to print carbon images on plain
glass plates with succsess.

Working on ceramic should have same character like working on glass
(inorganic surface ).

I think the only difference for you is to use enamel pigments instead of the
liquid ink.

The base I use is a transparent film for laser copies I
clean with alcohol and soak in hot water before coating.
The film is squeeged on a clean glassplate that is
heated to around 90°F and this sandwich is placed on a
leveled larger glass plate.

For the coating I use gelatine with a high gel strength
(250g Bloom) and Windsor&Newton Calligrapher
inks plus a few drops of Ox-gall and sugar only.

I pour the mixture to the center of the film and spread
with a toothed plastic spatula.
I spread the gelatine/pigment slightly over the edges
of the film-base but it seems that the emulsion \"stops\"
at the edge and there is no really exessive spill-over.

Under such conditions (and 72°F room temp.)I have about
2 minutes for coating before gelling starts.

This method gives me perfect even tissue for carbon
images on glass plates or on paper base also.
Another advantage is that you can peel-off the
pigment/gelatine layer from the film after exposure and
place it directly on the final support.

The gelatinepigment mixture I use contains:
10% gelatine (250g Bloom), 5% sugar, 5-7% liquid ink
and 2-3drops ox-gall/100ml heated at around 120°F.
I use 40ml of that mixture to coat an area of 21x30cm
(about 8x12 inch).

I sensitize 3 times with 3-5% Ammonia-bichromate in
alkohol/water (1:1) with a brush.

You can also get more information about carbon tissue if you search the
archive of the carbon list:

http://rmp.opusis.com/carbon/carbon.html

Good luck
Harald