cyanotype: weird lilac color

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/03/01-11:55:09 PM Z

    I made some cyanotypes today from some really dense negatives. At
least, I think they must be really dense because they look dense and they
took 30 minutes to expose to get anything close to Dmax under the black
lights. (I don't have a densitometer here in TN.) Something weird happened
on two of them: in the lighter areas, there is a sort of lilac color,
unlike the light blue of the normal light areas. What causes this? The
other variable, besides the long exposure, might be the really, really high
humidity--about 95% at night. My paper fogs while it is drying after I put
the emulsion on it. (And it takes a long time to dry. I help it along a bit
with the hair dryer sometimes.) Is the lilac color a symptom of fogging?

--shannon