Re: Re: Re: digital gum negatives (was: Re: Shooting for AlternativeProcesses)

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 07/04/01-02:04:11 PM Z

In a message dated 07/04/2001 15:36:31, lrryr@home.com wrote:

<<...burnt sienna gauche and I added some blue

which turned it an ugly green, 8x10, 1/2 inch of paint, 30 drops of gum, 30

drops of 26% dichromate, 2.5 minutes under my bank of lights. The print is

nothing to write home about but for a first shot it's not bad either. I can

scan it after I clear it if you'd like.

Larry>>

Larry,

Yes, I'd like to see it. Can you email a pic to me offlist when you get a
chance?

I've only used white gauche on black paper so I'd like to see how an opaque
watercolor pigment looks with gum on a light paper, especially with the
quadtone system and a contone negative. (Whaddya call a digital negative with
halftone dots so small it appears continuous tone?). I'm assuming the
dichromate is the ammonium variety because of the (solubility) % solution you
cite. What brand pigment and type of light bank are you using...fluorescent,
photoflood, metal halide, or ___ ? An 1160 Epson or some other model?

Sorry for so many questions, but since I just started tweaking the Cone/Epson
combination any info is helpful in fine-tuning the results.

Anyone else doing this kind of thing for gum printing with quadtone/hextone
(models?) printers and inksets (Cone, MIS, etc.)?

Thanks for any info,

Joe