Gum Bichromate internet conference board

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 07/05/01-12:41:40 PM Z

Greetings all,

As a result of some recent posts to this list regarding digital negatives for
gum printing and questions about the process in general, I thought it might
helpful to find an additional venue where participants could post images
along with discussions and questions. I emailed Dick Sullivan about the idea
and he has reinstated a gum bichromate folder on the Bostick and Sullivan
webboard. The URL for logging into the web conference is:

http://sirius.secureforum.com:8080/~bostick/login

I'm hoping the new folder will compliment the dicussions on this board by
allowing conference participants to post images along with accompanying
discussions. It hopefully will provide an opportunity for both experts and
novice gum printers to share information and imagery, and it could be a great
place to advance our skills. I hope it will foster a community spirit among
gum printers at all levels of experience and become a useful learning tool.

Quite often, I have wished I was able to see visual results of techniques and
advice given on this board, to compare notes and perhaps gain from the
experience of others using different procedures. (I'm a very "visual type"
and learn best by seeing examples.) I also frequently wished to see the type
of imagery people using the process produced, but local exhibits and internet
websites devoted to gum printing are fairly rare. There are numerous
platinum printing websites, websites devoted to pinhole photography, and many
traditional silverprint websites, but very few examples of online gum prints.
 The new conference gives us an opportunity to view the work of others, and
as the monitor of the new conference, I invite your participation in this
venture.

Although the folder can provide a method of showcasing finished work I really
hope it will be a place for learning. I hope those among us exploring
digital negatives and novice gum printers in particular will use the board to
share ideas, successes, and just generally troubleshoot our methods. I
encourage you to ask questions and post test results as well as test images
in the new folder. "A picture is worth a thousand words," and can be very
helpful in learning any new process or fine-tuning established results.

In addition to the above topics, links to personal websites, exhibition
notices, recommended readings, and anything else related to gum or casein
bichromate printing are welcome. There is no cost associated with joining
the board and this folder will remain focused on educational, noncommercial
discussions of gum printing techniques.

I hope you will join me and I sincerely invite your participation on the
board.

Thanks,

Joe Smigiel (smieglitz@aol.com)