Re: digital gum negatives

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/05/01-04:36:16 AM Z

Sam Wang wrote:

> Banding is the reason I have not used inkjet negatives except for demos.
>
> The rep at the Cones Editions booth at the SPE conference told me
> that they had to return 3 out of every 5 Epson printers, mainly
> because of paper advance problems (read: banding).

That's interesting. I've always found that the banding I'm talking about
can be corrected by either cleaning the heads or specifying a different
media type or printing at a higher resolution or a combination thereof.
When I said the problem couldn't be corrected, I didn't mean at the
printer-negative level, I meant at the gum printing level, it can't be
corrected. Even there I should have said that for the way *I* print,
using very transparent layers of color, those bands would continue to
show through no matter how many layers I put over them. Perhaps someone
who prints more opaquely would find that they could overprint the
banding.

But just the same, that's interesting information.
kt