toned photographs

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/06/01-02:00:18 PM Z

I saw Aaron Rose's show yesterday in Chelsea, at the Paul Kasmin Gallery.
Was, I'm afraid a letdown... Much publicity had been given to fact that
he'd toned pinhole photographs in "solutions of metals he mixed himself."
He was quoted as saying he used vanadium, copper, gold, silver and tin,
among others. The colors appearing were all shades of tan -- nothing that
couldn't have been done with sepia toner, for all the metal he ran down
the drain. And should NOT be taken for examples of metal toning. (Just
gold & sepia together produce wonders if you have the least idea what
you're doing.)

I have some vanadium toned prints by Dallas Simpson, for instance -- a
GREEN that could make your dreadlocks stand on end. OK, I WILL try to get
them on a website... for once a color that the monitor phosphor is right
for.

>From there we went to the Fashion Institute of Technology, where the
museum had a show of dyed silk by a master Japanese dyer, whose name I
confess I have not remembered (difficult for us gringos). This was one of
the peak esthetic experiences of the year, if not the decade. The colors
truly bowled over a gum printer now doing BRIGHT. Imagine the tones from
cloves, and onion skin -- altered by different mordants. All at once I
want subtle (admittedly I'm impressionable). This show is on until fall &
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It's also beautifully installed (27th st & 7th
Avenue).

Judy