Re: Real Estate

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/09/01-12:04:18 PM Z

Christine wrote:

> There is a big hullaballoo over
> this in Boston, because the low-income families are being pushed out of their
> homes that they can't afford anymore and have no place to go.

I have been wondering about this. It's happening in our neighborhood in
Houston to some extent, which is now still a neighborhood of mixed incomes,
rich people and poor people and medium people, but what will happen in the
future? Where will poor people go? I think they will just have to commute
farther and farther to get to work. But, if in Massachusetts no house is
less than $300,000, and all the poor people leave the state, who will do all
the work that poor people do now? Wonder if the yuppies have thought of
that problem.

Is anybody else documenting this transition in photographs? I am working on
a series about my neighborhood in Houston, and the working class people that
are gradually leaving. It's really about people's front porches, how they
decorate them. There are a lot of different styles of porch decorating in
my neighborhood, some very colorful and interesting, with lots of plants and
figurines and "yard art," but others are very austere. The yuppies seem to
prefer austere.

--shannon