Real Estate was: [Fwd: Re: Art and livelihood]

From: christine (christine@napc.com)
Date: 07/09/01-09:31:31 AM Z

Hi Judy,

Thanks for your response. However, the real estate market in Massachusetts
is so *good* (depending on how you look at it) you can't buy a house
anywhere in this state for less than $300,000. Especially in the heart of
the city where the slums used to be because that area is now seen as hip and
cool and all the yuppies have taken over. There is a big hullaballoo over
this in Boston, because the low-income families are being pushed out of their
homes that they can't afford anymore and have no place to go. Meanwhile, the
Ritz-Carlton is building a huge high-rise in the middle of the city for
"luxury condominiums". I used to rent an apartment in one of the slums - we
paid $800 a month for a beautiful old four bedroom house. Now the rent for
that apartment is $2200 a month.

Hopefully if I get a raise this month I can start saving money, but as it
stands, I don't even have a savings account. Guess it'll be awhile before I
can buy property. Maybe the recession will ease things up a bit.

Cheers,
Christine