Re: Gum Question

From: George Huczek (ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca)
Date: 07/10/01-08:06:42 AM Z

At 03:06 AM 10/07/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>George,
>
>FWIW, I'm always suspicious of a paint with a name like helios.... Unless
>the label ALSO tells you the actual pigment. I haven't tried the vaunted
>Linel colors yet, tho I expect to -- but I'd be curious if you got that
>green effect with, say, Daniel Smith Hansa yellow, which is a "process"
>yellow... or Rowney Permanent Yellow, which is a hansa or arylide yellow,
>or any of quite a few other yellows that are standard pigments. (They also
>have "cadmium yellow" tho I don't think that has cadmium in it any more.)
>
>Meanwhile, they can change "helios" at will, and you'll never know --
>until maybe it turns green (which I've never seen happen -- yet).

Thanks for this. The lack of standardization in pigment descriptions by
some manufacturers is disconcerting. There ought to be a law ...
The label on the tube says "M*** T/O 180 azo pigment" but I don't have a
clue what any of that means, other than perhaps there is an azo dye in the
tube.

Someone should write a detailed description of how different manufacturers
describe their watercolour pigments.