Re: Frosted Glass

From: Sam Wang (stwang@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/16/01-08:21:50 AM Z

At 11:49 AM +0200 7/16/01, Philippe Monnoyer wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>Would any one have a recipe for the preparation of a frosted glass for
>cameras ?
>I guess the treatment of the glass plate is a bath of fluorhydric acid and
>ammonium bifluoride ...
>I am searching for practical information,
>
>Thank you,
>
>Philippe Monnoyer
>Belgium

There has been quite a lot of information on the cameramakers
discussion list (http://rmp.opusis.com/mailman/listinfo/cameramakers)
on this topic.

Basically:
1/ for small, up to 4x5, groundglass, the quick and easy way is to
use frosted adhesive tape on plastic (acrylic)
2/ grind two pieces of glass together with levigated alumna from a
lapidary shop in between
3/ sandblasting with very fine grit
4/ use Armour Etch available from hobby shops

I use methods 1 and 4.. Sandy King tried sandblasting acrylic - it
gave very dim image. The we tried the etch and got great results in
groundglass up to 12x20. Just etch the same piece of glass a couple
of times. It's very even and very fine, comparable to commercially
available ones.

Sam Wang