Re: Plastic's for making darkroom sinks

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 07/17/01-10:41:48 AM Z

Hi:

Here the PVC is usually cheaper than acrylic, though the price is based on
the thickness. Here PVC is cheaper than acrylic of the same thickness.

Acrylic plastic can be bent in the same way that PVC can. The shop I got
my work done at was using the same bending iron for both PVC and acrylic,
though they may bend at different temperatures.

To seam large pieces together one could glue an overlapping piece to seal
the joints. If its being placed within a plywood base a recess would have
to be cut into the plywood base to accomodate the joint.

A flush drain could be added in a similar way - a hole cut in the plastic
liner - a drain fitting could be glued to the bottom, a recess would be
cut in the plywood base to accomodate the drain.

Hmmm . I'm going to have to build one of these soon :)

Gord

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, ken watson wrote:

> Gordon mentions PVC in this post but if you look on their page's I think
> acrylic sheets are much cheaper. They do not bend, as PVC, and need to be
> cut with a saw and then edge glued. I have had a lot of luck making trays
> and containers with this material.
> They also have large trays that seem reasonably priced, they take credit
> cards, and do not charge extreme shipping fees.
> You can also get storage bottles for your chemistry and about anything else.

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2