Re: Darkroom sink coating?

From: Sam Wang (stwang@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/17/01-04:36:22 PM Z

At 10:05 AM -0800 7/16/01, James Young wrote:
>A while back sink building was discussed and someone mentioned a
>cheap coating for plywood. I thought it might be elastoseal, but
>can't remember. I couldn't find anything in the archive. Does anyone
>remember the material and what kind of store or section in a store
>to find it. Any recommendations.
> Thanks
> Jamie Young in Madison, WI

I was told that the Photo Formulary workshops used sinks coated with
Rhino Hide, something for coating truck beds, and that it has some
flexibility and works great. Anyone heard of that? Price would be
around $200 for coating your plywood sink.

A friend and I tried some $45 a gallon truck bed coating from Walmart
instead. My friend used his first and found it to flake off. I did
not even bother to try using mine as a sink - it works well as a
table top.

I ended up using possibly the same PVC sheets as Gordon used - just
glued it in and sealed the corners with silicone caulking. Seems to
work fine. The stuff is available for $7 a 4x8 sheet from Lowes.
Cheap and resists chemicals.

Years ago we coated a wooden sink at school with fiberglass resin
without the cloth. All I can say is don't do it! Another sink of mine
was coated with marine epoxy. The seams never healed but it didn't
leak.

So, get Rhino Hide if you can find it and afford it. If not, try the
PVC sheets.

Sam