I want to do daguerreotypes!

From: zant zant (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 07/17/01-04:20:16 PM Z

Hello I’m new to this list. I was wondering if there are any people out
there making daguerreotypes?

I have a couple of questions for people doing daguerreotypes...

1. Where can you get plates made? I want to eventually do 8X10’s
2. Where can I get chemicals for sensitizing the plate?
3. Finally are there newer alternative chemicals used for sensitizing,
developing and fixing? I know that mercury vapors were used in the original
process to develop. I was wondering if there is a safer way of developing
out the image. I believe there is a process involving a filter placed on the
exposed plate then exposing it to light to create a latency image. Then all
you would have to do is fix it.

Of course I have more questions then this but I’ll start with these. Any
info or links to info would be appreciated. I live in San Francisco so if
there is anyone doing this around the bay area I would love to see some of
the plates made. Thank you. –Chris