Re: A couple gum questions...

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 07/19/01-03:57:17 AM Z

>For example a subtle olive green tone.
>
>Just so I don't waste a lot of time is the technique to achieve a subtly
tone to mix a small amount of a color with black? Making a tinted black?

Even though I use casein rather than gum, I may jump in here.
Black certainly mutes colours, but I suggest trying to mix greens with
browns also. But such decisions depend on your overall technique of
printing, the contrast of your negatives, the number of coats, whether you
want different colours for different densities, and so on. For instance, if
you apply several coats, I would consider it a good idea to add some black
only to the last coat which should be exposed shorter than the others, just
to add debth in the shadows.

>Or should I just use a tiny amount of pigment with more clear gum?

See above, depends on what you want.

>I don't have it but how useful is Neutral Tone watercolor?

Never tried it myself.

>I'm curently using 1:1 Gum to Pot. Dichromate.

Again, the relation seems to me to depend on the desired effects.

Lukas