Re: I want to do daguerreotypes!

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 07/19/01-04:04:16 PM Z

Zant,

Although you have already been given excellant advice from list members I thought I would mention that I have several daguerreotypes on my web page. Go to: www.schrammstudio.com  While you are there click on where it says further information which has a link to the Daguerreian Society. Also, the process you are thinking of is the Becequerrel method which uses red light to develop the plate. For this process the plate is fumed in iodine vapor only (bromine fuming is omitted). It is not very practical in that exposure times are around 20 minutes and development may take several hours.

You really need to attend a workshop and learn this process from a master daguerreotypist if you wish to be successful. There are many things that have to been shown to you that cannot be adequately discribed in words or pictures. Also you need to learn how to safely handle iodine, bromine and mercury vapor if you do not already know.

If I can answer any further questions, let me know.

Good luck,

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:
http://www.SchrammStudio.com