Re: Lost Messages from Carl Weese and Others

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 07/20/01-02:05:37 PM Z

Hi Sandy Carl

I've had a closer look at this. When data is sent of the internet it is
bounced from one computer to another until if finally gets to its
destination.

One of the computers that messages sometimes hop through in getting to
Sandy is called 1Cust135.tnt9.norwalk.ct.da.uu.net

One of the solutions to the spam problems that service providers can do is
block email from any computer known to be setup to allow spammed messages
to get through.

1Cust135.tnt9.norwark.ct.da.uu.net has been identified by the
administrators of the hubcap.clemson.edu computer as a site that lets spam
through. Hubcap has been set to refuse all email from 1Cust....

What this means to Sandy is that he must get the administrators of
hubcap.clemson.edu to change its policy so it will accept mail from
1Cust...

or change the way email is routed so that it does not use this computer.

sorry to bore eveyone else with these detials, but I think it helps
everyone if they get an idea - no matter how vague - how this works.

Anyway Sandy it looks like the problem is on your end. Talk to your
computer people.

Gord

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Carl Weese wrote:

> Gordon, or anyone else who understands this stuff:
> The cc to sandy of the list msg bounced with the following error
report:

> Reporting-MTA: dns; hawk.mail.pas.earthlink.net
--> Received-From-MTA: DNS; 1Cust135.tnt9.norwalk.ct.da.uu.net
> Arrival-Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:26:48 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Final-Recipient: RFC822; sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu
> Action: failed
> Remote-MTA: DNS; hubcap.clemson.edu
--> Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 5.3.0 originates from uu.net
 customer,reject as
> spam
> Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:26:55 -0700 (PDT)

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2