Re: T-max developer and other non-T-max films

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 07/20/01-07:07:22 PM Z

At 09:50 PM 07/20/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone!
>
>Spring cleaning early this year(?!)and in need of
>advice... Does anyone have any info or suggestion for
>using T-max developer with Fuji Neopan SS; Kodak
>Recording Film; Kodak Technical Pan film (EI 25 -
>normal or hi contrast -it doesn't really matter at
>this point)or Kodak Plus-x film?
>
>These are all 35mm or 120 film, rated normally: I am
>moving and cleaning out my long lost films and don't
>want to buy the proper chemicals for just one or two
>rolls each... (just acceptable results are, well, in
>just this one case, acceptable).
>
>Thanks!
>
>RM

  There is a pretty extensive data booklet available from the Kodak web site.
http://www.kodak.com Search for "J-86" with the quotation marks.
  It won't cover Fuji film but you may be able to interpolate.
   There isn't any reference to it in my latest Technical Pan data sheet
but its probably not the latest Kodak has. Search for P-255. The data sheet
does give times for HC-110 so again you might be able to interpolate.
  There are two T-Max developers: plain T-Max and T-Max RS. The RS version
has Phenidone in it, the plain stuff appears to use only Hydroquinone
similarly to HC-110. Both will produce rather high contrast on Technical Pan.
  Development times for straight T-Max RS are short so diluting the working
solution 1:1 will be more satisfactory for many films (like Verichrome Pan).
  T-Max developer is slightly more grainy than D-76 but not as grainy as
Rodinal. It has a tight grain pattern. T-Max developers can produce very
high densities so you need to be careful of overdevelopment.
  BTW, it has no relation to T-Max film other than Kodak seems to like the
name.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.