Re: bromide drag

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/21/01-07:21:35 AM Z

Sandy (if you're receiving)

I've been thinking about the print drum streak problem with staining
formulas. I've gotten excellent negs without streaks, but also enough with
streaks to avoid the technique. Tray development works fine anyhow, but for
those who have good reasons to prefer rotary processing...

You mentioned not using an after-soak. How do you wash--in the drum or out
and in a tray or washer? What I'm wondering is whether the streaking I've
seen may be *only* in the stain, not the development, and so occured during
after-soak or wash. That would mean that drum rib streaks might not happen
as long as the film is removed from the drum after the fix and given any
further treatments in a tray. I'm much too busy with current work to run a
test on this but experience of list members might hint at an answer. BTW,
there's a completely different bromide drag problem with regular
non-staining developers. D-76 (ID-11 should be the same) is the only
standard developer I've seen that doesn't cause bromide drag streaking when
processing large film sheets in print drums.---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/