to pre-soak or not

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/21/01-02:54:27 PM Z

Eric wrote:

> A 5 minute presoak is necessary for all films and
> formats.

I always did this for 35mm film and 120 film, but when I got my combiplan I
stopped doing it, because the directions that came with it said it wasn't
necessary. I haven't noticed any problems. Similarly, I just went to the
BTZS site where they show you how to use the BTZS tubes, and the directions
don't include a pre-soak. (Also they tell you to stop and fix in trays
rather than in the tubes.) I wonder if people have experimented with both
ways and concluded that actually a pre-soak is needed with the tubes. Also
I wonder why the makers of the tubes suggest stopping and fixing in trays
rather than in the tubes?

--shannon