Re: homemade tubes

From: Brian Ellis (bellis60@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/22/01-01:53:58 PM Z

If you have, or can find, Phil Davis' book "Beyond the Zone System," one of
the appendices deals with making the tubes. I tried his method for 8x10
tubes and never could solve the cap problem. If I put the caps on tightly
enough to eliminate developer leaks, I couldn't get them off without a lot
of effort and that messed up my development times. If I put them on loosely
enough that they could be quickly removed when the development time was up,
developer leaked from around the cap area. I tried rubbing the inside of the
caps with paraffin as Phil suggests to make it easier to remove the caps and
that didn't work either. So I went back to trays for 8x10.

With respect to cost, I spent about $80 at Home Depot on materials and had
enough to make about 8 tubes. As I recall, BTZS sells one 8x10 tube for
about $80. Of course the BTZS tube presumably would have worked.