Re: making casein (Earth Pigments)

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 07/24/01-07:35:02 PM Z

IMO, there's nothing quite like gum prints made using burnt sienna, raw
umber, etc.... For years, I've photographed Indian rock art during
explorations of the western United States. In my attempts to record these
fantastic scenes, Cibachrome was a waste of time and money. B&W was great
for certain images. But only gum, using the 'earth tones', really provided
the means to make prints that truly capture the emotional intensity of
actually being there and looking at 5,000 year old images scraped and
painted onto sandstone. For certain subjects, gum prints are the only way.

What do "raw earht gum prints look like?". Like any other medium, some are
contrived and boring, others are simply amazing. All of them are definitely
different.

Try it. You'll like it.

Dave Rose
Cactus Cowboy