Re: Reducing a PT/PD print

From: Istvan Bibo (bibo969@hotmail.com)
Date: 07/25/01-07:16:05 AM Z

>From: Nick Makris <nick@mcn.org>
>To: Alternative Photography <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
>Subject: Reducing a PT/PD print
>Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 06:40:17 -0700
>
>Has anyone successfully thinned/reduced a slightly dark PT/PD print? My
>guess is that by doing so, the thinning may not occur uniformly, but that
>in
>doing so, one might come up with a surprise abstract of the original. Any
>ideas are welcome.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Nick

Nick,

I read somewhere, that nitric acid can reduce pd prints. I gave it a try by
using 10% nitric acid (quite strong). After 1 day no significant reduction
was visible. By accident I left another small piece of pd print in the acid
for two weeks or so. The print was reduced but not exessivly and the part
that was not in the acid became brownish yellow. So I think it is not the
way to go.
On the other hand I discovered something interesting (at least to me):
When I put a pd print in household Clorox and then into hydrochkoric acid
the complete pd print washed down the drain! Only white blank paper was
left! It was stunning to me because PT/PD prints are said to be chemically
very resistant. After this I experimented with this lethal combo no
further. Maybe you will.

Istvan