Re: fragile Pt/Pd prints

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/10/01-06:13:51 AM Z

Carl Weese wrote:
> Have any platinum printers out there noticed a difference or variation in
> the ruggedness of platinum print surfaces, either between papers or between
> batches of the same paper?
>
> I don't mean the tendency of lightweight papers to tear, or relative wet
> strength. This is a tendency of a few prints to "scuff" or "scrape" under
> very light abrasion ...

I have noted that Pt/Pd prints are fragile. It seems that any Pt/Pd
print on paper is delicate and should receive some special attention. A
good way to store finished prints is to mat them and not use a tissue
between window mat and print. Even pulling the tissue could cause
damage.

The most common damage I have seen is more of a "scuff" or burnishing of
the surface and can be a factor of the paper surface (but all papers
will burnish). I do not experience the case of rubbing lightly on the
print surface and having metal coming off onto the object rubbing, but I
do not rub hard. Test prints stacked and handled much do not show any
rubbing of, but do show scuffing and if really mistreated scratching.
Spotting and razor etching can alter or damage the paper surface, and
etching by its nature removes material.

A possible fix for burnishing may be to soak in water and dry, but I
have not tried this and do not know. Nothing will fix a scratch,
scrape, or any removal of metal.

On the other hand, Pt/Pd prints on fabric are quite different and very
durable. It is difficult to damage them either wet or dry, but it can
be done. The most common damage to occur damage is likely a stretching
or pulling of individual fabric threads, and this only occurs with
serious abuse.

Some possibilities for the metal coming off the finished print are:
the use of a clay containing paper;
some other coating, such as gum or heavy sizing that prevents coating
penetration;
a non absorbent paper such as tyvek (polyester) or other plastic;
some additive to the coating that prevents the metal from clinging the
the paper fibers;
drying of the coating before it has soaked into the paper (this usually
comes off in the processing);
surface application which may not push coating solution into paper
fibers and then drying as above.

These last two can be influenced by the paper and could conceivably be a
ramification of using a rod, if the rod is not used to push the coating
solution into the paper as a brush but rather just spreads it across. I
have not used a rod enough to really know. I would still like to do
some controlled effort to compare rod and brush coating.

Note also that Pd should cling to fibers better than Pt, so I would
expect the problem you describe to be less if using only Pd, if it is
related to clinging to fibers. If the problem is related to
application, there may not be a difference. A couple controlled test
prints might provide some insight as to the problem being related to
clinging (and all the possibilities mentioned above) or application.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/