fragile Pt/Pd prints

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/09/01-01:49:30 PM Z

All,

Have any platinum printers out there noticed a difference or variation in
the ruggedness of platinum print surfaces, either between papers or between
batches of the same paper?

I don't mean the tendency of lightweight papers to tear, or relative wet
strength. This is a tendency of a few prints to "scuff" or "scrape" under
very light abrasion (as from being stacked dry with other prints, or flicked
with a finger while spotting). This is very minor, and nearly takes
magnification to see. But it's almost as though the metal isn't as well
bonded to, or deeply imbedded in, the dry print. Where I've noticed it,
there was nothing unusual about the processing of the print, nothing to
indicate weak adhesion during the wet stages, no streaming or bleeding of
image density while wet.

If anyone else has noticed this I'd like to hear about it. To avoid
influencing the "survey results" I won't name paper(s) at this point.

Just realized, of course I should ask if anyone has seen something similar
resulting from a change in one of the chemicals rather than the paper stock.
So...?

---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries