Re: fragile Pt/Pd prints

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/10/01-12:15:24 PM Z

Jeffrey,

What you describe sounds similar: bear in mind I'm talking about something
that just looks like the very slightest mottling to the naked eye and only
shows the abrasion/roll-up when viewed through a loupe. In only a couple
cases would anyone be likely to see the problem _unless_ they were
inspecting prints with a magnifier for spotting. In fact I noticed it first
while spotting some prints with huge expanses of delicately graded light
tones--difficult to print in the first place--and then went back and found
that I could turn up similar defects, with a magnifier, looking at old work
prints that had been stored in stacks without interleaving or other
protection.

It's certainly not a problem I'm going to run specific tests to chase down,
but I will try to systematically examine existing test prints to confirm or
not my initial hunch that some papers are more fragile than others. I'll
also see if I can find any indication of whether brush or rod coating makes
a difference.

To come at it from the other direction, I'm wondering if some of the tone
mottling that people run into from time to time with various papers may
actually be caused by physical abrasion, not some problem during image
formation as is usually surmised.

---Carl