Re: fragile Pt/Pd prints

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/10/01-03:32:01 PM Z

Carl Weese wrote:
> ... to confirm or
> not my initial hunch that some papers are more fragile than others.

Yes each paper seems to have its own fragility characteristic (both for
dry and wet), although I have not seen any published data ranking them.
It seems that papers intended for markers (like Bienfang 360) and hot
pressed papers with good sizing (like the old [pre 1988] Strathmore 500)
are more resilient, while softer papers such as water color papers are
easier to damage. I would guess that the Arches Platine would be more
fragile than Crane's Cover-90.

Judging fragility characteristic can be deceiving. For example, as with
Bienfang 360 which is light, thin, and crinkles easy has very high wet
strength. I do not recall ever tearing a Print on Bienfang 306 while
processing (hands at each of two adjacent corners to move from tray to
tray.) I have torn other papers such as Crane's and Arches.

> To come at it from the other direction, I'm wondering if some of the tone
> mottling that people run into from time to time with various papers may
> actually be caused by physical abrasion, not some problem during image
> formation as is usually surmised.

Especially if the image surface is touched while wet, when it is much
more sensitive to damage. Also the paper should never be squeegee(d) to
help dry. I hang the stronger papers by clips on a line and place the
thinner or weaker papers on a tipped drying screen. Also the paper
should be face up in the processing trays, unless the paper floats and
will not touch the tray then it can be advantageous to place face down
(making sure no air bubbles are trapped.) Sliding the image along a
smooth tray bottom can cause damage.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/