Re: I'll think of it in a minute...

From: Cathy Gamlen (cpgamlen@netwiz.net)
Date: 06/10/01-08:06:30 PM Z

Could we PLEASE stay on topic. This is supposed to be for alt photo,
otherwise... post on an appropriate site.. PLEASE !!!!!

From: jportale <jportale@gci-net.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:09:01 -0700
To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
Subject: Re: I'll think of it in a minute...

I'm walking into this a little late, but let me take a crack at it. Bob,
many of the things that you cite are regulated at the state level. You
mentioned switch blades, (push button knives). While these may be illegal in
your neck of the woods, here in Arizona there is no such rule. You may even
carry one as long as you have a conceled weapons permit or if you carry it
in the open, say on your belt. Ditto for the high explosives. Any rancher or
farmer, or YOU can sally into a feed store and buy all the explosives they
need with a signiture. The cigarettes, porn and booze is a morality codes
founded in state laws. The feds just jumped on the band wagon later on.
What has all this accomplished? Nothing. Kids still get porn, booze and
smokes. Ding-dongs can still buy explosives or get the info on how to make
them at the local library, DDT is still being used on the otherside of the
border and migrates up here, as far as creasote not being used, when was the
last time you looked at a rail road tie being sold at Home Depot. These ties
come from Mexico or Canada and they are soaked with the stuff.

SO what does this have to do with the topic? Everything. All of the above
things when made illegal are merely driven underground. And in some manner
become more attrative to looney-toons. My uncle who is a retired federal
law enforcement agent said the fastest way to curb the use of illegal drugs
in the US would be to legalize them. It would take the naughty glamore away.

What I'm trying to say is that you can not nor should you ban an idea or
thought just because it is unpopular or represents something that is
repugnant to our/your/cultural sensibilities. The whole point is that all
opinions must be heard. It does not matter if these ideas are political, art
theory, or simple babbling. By outlawing ideas, you become the demon, the
arbitor of what is right and wrong. I can not speak for the rest of the
world, but that is a job that I simply not qualified for.

And as far as the French, look at your history. Their outlawing of anything
of nazi origins is due to a national embarrasment for the collaberations
early on. When it comes to WWII, the French have very little to say. Too
many French Jews, Gypsies and other "un-pure" people ended up in the camps
with the full support of a large number of the population. The "heroic"
freedom fighters of the movies were only about 2% of the population. And the
anti-nazi sentiment only started after "regular" French citizins were
shipped off for forced labor in the German war factories by the tens of
thousands.

The quote: "I may not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend you
right to say them", has special meaning in this world, nes pas?

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ