the alt-photo biz

From: K (kerickso@acs.ryerson.ca)
Date: 06/13/01-09:51:38 AM Z

I have an open question to the list, but first i'll have to work up to it:
I am a photography student at Ryerson U. in Toronto, and over the past year
or so have become deeply fascinated and even a little infatuated with alt
processes. So much so in fact, that my fiance and i are planning to open an
alt-studio/workshop (hopefully) very soon after we graduate. We plan to not
only produce alt-photo work of all kinds, but hopefully pass on our small
(but growing!) knowledge-base to interested students of a wide variety of
ages, walks of life . . .
I guess the question then would be: what's the best way of doing it,
financially speaking? We love doing photo and alt-photo based work, but we'd
really rather not be starving artists. We've kicked around the idea(s) of
incorporating the studio, or making it a not-for-profit organization, but we
really don't know the pros and cons of either route. And we're completely
clueless about grants, government funding, and the like. . . . Where to
_begin_?
To anyone who'd like to take a crack at this rather open question, thanks in
advance for your reply.
Kris