Re: the alt-photo biz

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 06/13/01-07:41:47 AM Z

Hello Kris,

I graduated college with an AAS in commercial photography in 1984, and
worked as a photographer from 1985-1989, both freelance, and on staff for a
small ad agency. I could never get too excited about commercial
photography, so I'm now doing what I love (4x5 landscape photography) in my
free time, while making a lot more money with a career in sales.

When you get out in the 'real world', you'll find the photography business
is very competitive. There are many talented photographers out there
scrambling for business. Self-motivation, persistence, and an aggressive
attitude towards sales and marketing will be the key factors determining
your success. There are many excellent photographers who never make it
because they can't 'sell themselves' to potential clients.

Owning and operating your own business is a major undertaking. It will be a
lot of hard work, but the potential rewards are great. If you haven't
already done so, take some courses in accounting, business management,
etc.... Have you worked for a small business before? If not, try to gain
experience working for someone else before you start your venture. A
part-time sales job would be an ideal learning experience. Although your
primary interest is alt-photo, consider doing some commercial work to help
pay the bills.

Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Dave Rose
Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming

(snip)