Mean Spirited Posts

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 06/22/01-08:29:24 PM Z

>I for one am in favor of knowing about the person engaged in current
>discussion, perhaps to the extent that if they don't identify themselves
>they should not be allowed to post.
>
>Nick

Hey Nick,
 For me, the name one identifies with isn't really the issue. I think
what is in question is the quality of how they relate to others, It's
the content of the post, not what name you call them. I hope you're not
suggesting ugly behavior is more acceptable if it comes from a person
with a typical two word name?
 I too noticed that it was the quality of content in the posts of
"callie" that caused identity questions being raised before. But does
knowing that another name callie uses is Deborah change her "sugar on
shit" style of writing? It doesn't for me.

If the issue is one of treating others with respect, then the list
doesn't need more rules. the weekly reminders state-

>There are four basic rules for using this list. Treat everyone with
>respect. Don't send unsubscribe requests to the list, don't send
>messages with attachments, and don't send viruses through the list

My feeling is (regardless of the name in use) the quality of callie's
posts are and have been without basic respect for those she writes to.
Thinking someone may have a large ego (even if it's Dicks!!) does not
exempt one from the first basic basic rule when writing to this list.
(but then many ignore the second rule as well...) What to do? enforce
'em or move on?... The people who send unsubscribe requests to the
list, are unsubscribed.

okay...so much for my analysis...
garimo