writing style

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/23/01-02:00:22 AM Z

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, garimo wrote:
> .... does > knowing that another name callie uses is Deborah change
> her "sugar on shit" style of writing? It doesn't for me.

CUT

> My feeling is (regardless of the name in use) the quality of callie's
> posts are and have been without basic respect for those she writes to.

CUT

I don't know where you get that, Garimo. From here, objections to Callie's
supposed "sugar on shit" style of writing are purely sexist.

You call for "basic respect," but the phrase "sugar on shit" is itself FAR
RUDER than anything Callie herself has said on the list. Certainly her
writing "style," which I found quite polite and straight forward, would
NOT NOT NOT draw objections coming from a man.

In other words, I find calling someone's writing style, someone who is in
fact earnestly trying to express ideas, "sugar on shit," is not following
the rule about "play nicely, children." And though I'm considered a pretty
good editor, I've been over her lines a couple of times, and fail to find
even a grain of sugar on shit. In fact, I find a quite conciliatory tone.

Is it that she dared speak, like Anita Hill, "truth to power"?

Callie has got more guts than a sausage factory, but even the gutsiest
woman can't entirely overcome. Of course if she'd called herself Caleb,
she might get some "basic respect," in fact none of this would have come
up. (Just like I've been told I should post as Judd. Would have saved a
whole lotta trouble.)

Judy