Re: Palladio

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/25/01-07:01:46 PM Z

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 dsbryant@telocity.com wrote:

> About the time I was going to purchase some Palladio paper they had
> stopped production. It was also at that time that I read mixed and
> negative reviews of their paper.

At about the time Palladio stopped production I spoke for several hours on
the phone with Surah. She told me in heartbreaking detail the series, a
long long stretch over several years, of trials of papers and frustrations
with same. She even sent me a sample from Rising to try -- which they
had found too contrasty. (So did I.)

In sum (from memory) they had a certain kind of coating machine, which
needed a certain kind of paper. But aside from new EPA regs, one supplier
of that paper after another was swallowed by a bigger firm that didn't
want to bother. These figures are of course a facsimile from memory
several years later, but the larger firms required something like -- oh
say 24 million yards/pounds/ or whatever -- for "a making," which (I
believe) she said they could have eventually used. But there was no way
*to test* the to-order paper without that making... ie, the 24 million
whatevers.

She said she would stop production if she couldn't get the right paper
rather than make an inferior paper. Palladio had been discussed several
times on the list, the consensus being that it was, as several folks said
today, good for what it was, and a fine toe-in-the-water for a photog
considering platinum.

I never heard the "negative" reviews you refer to, although obviously many
(most?) folks preferred the options and control and so forth of coating
their own. But for those who weren't into the pt/pd mystique, but just
wanted to knock out decent & permanent prints, it was much loved and
sincerely mourned.

I used to see her demos at photo expo -- admittedly I am NOT a platinum
maven.... but they looked good to me. If Surah has found a paper or a
workaround.... hurrah. Unless she's much better at dissembling than I
take her far, the business was there.

Judy