Re: nanometers & phosphors

From: Ed Stander (glassact@compuserve.com)
Date: 06/25/01-07:35:04 PM Z

All:
  Mike Ware contacted me some time ago re. nanometers and PT processes.
Here is his commentary:
*******************************
The choice of the best UV light sources for the various processes is a
recurrent topic that attracts much opinion but very little science. None of
the sources are monochromatic, so one has to consider the whole waveband of
radiation emitted, in relation to (1) the absorbance and quantum efficiency
of the sensitizer, (2) the internal filter effect of the coating, (3) the
glass in the printing frame, and even (4) the plastic base of the negative,
all of which can affect the outcome. My theoretical recommendation in JPS
only took into account the first two of these.

If you know of any report in the Pt/Pd archives of a proper experimental
comparison of tubes peaking at ca. 365 nm with similar-power tubes peaking
at ca. 410 nm, under identical conditions, I would be genuinely grateful to
have the reference, so I can give the question more thought if experiment
does not agree with theory.

Your message has just sent me to search my e-mail archives, where I find
that I posted the following to the Alt Proc List on 9 January 1996